History of the tank
The Panzer IV began production in 1937 in support of the Panzer III, but by upgrading the cannon to 75 mm KwK 40, it surpassed its older counterpart and in 1942, finally took the title of the backbone of German forces. By the end of World War II, a total of 8,500 Panzer IVs were produced. They were often upgraded and were always on par with Allied tanks. Their chassis were the base of various vehicles used for combat support.